Friday 10 April 2015

Current Craft Crushes

Right from the outset I want to state for the record that the word "craft" in the title of this post is purely there for alliteration purposes only - the work I am going to mention (IMHO) is most definitely 100% ART!

Next to stitching, one of my other favourite activities is discovering new sources of needlework inspiration, so today I thought I would just share a few things that have set my creativity buzzing recently!

Firstly I am completely in love with the work of Lynn Harrigan, who I discovered thanks to Jo (who discovered it via Mr X Stitch.).  Lynn is working on her Calendar Project where she embroiders the weather and mood at her home each day - you can read more about her project here and see her daily squares by following her Instagram feed @obliquepoet.  I cannot put into words how amazing, beautiful and delicate her work is!



I've been interested to see the rise in popularity of Art Therapy (AKA colouring books for adults), and considered getting kitted up with a few myself - except it would take away from my stitching time, so I quickly dismissed the idea!  However Mary Corbet's article yesterday really caught my attention where she discussed using these books for embroidery inspiration!  I thought is was a fantastic idea and something I definitely want to have a go at!

I've also been swooning a lot over the contents of this book this week:

 
Such beautiful things on every page and definitely keeps me motivated to perfect my goldwork and embroidery techniques!  On a side note, thank goodness for my local library and free reservations - they've seen a sharp rise in activity on my account lately!  I do have a soft spot for libraries though, seeing as they have, in part, kept me fed and watered these past 15 years lol!
 
 
Next up Trish Burr, her incredible work has fascinated me for a while.  I know that needlepainting is and will forever be, completely beyond my skill level, but I still love looking at her amazing work.  I just cannot fathom how so much detail is captured with needle and thread - such talent (not to mention patience!).  However it had completely escaped my notice that as well as needlepainting she has also recently designed a series entitled "Shades of Whitework"  - now that I have a chance at!  This one particularly caught my eye - I wonder why:
 
 
You can find Trish's designs for sale via her Etsy Shop and I'm thinking that some of those Shades of Whitework designs will be finding themselves on my Must Stitch list next year!  Incidentally, some of her designs use DMC Floche which is really hard to track down in the UK, so if anyone knows of a UK supplier please let me know, otherwise I'll just have to source it from the US (although I might be able to use Coton a Broder instead - further research required!).
 
Finally, thanks to Mabel's Blog, I discovered some surface embroidery freebies which I will definitely be having a go at, possibly next month, as I really want to step away from the holes!  Kelly Fletcher's Craftsy Shop has 12 beautiful freebies in her Bloomin' Marvellous series which will be a great way for me to practice my stem stitch, chain stitch, split stitch etc etc.  I'm hoping to get away with using some 40ct linen for them (though I have some linen in my non stitching fabric stash which might suit too) and they are charted in stranded DMCs so that shouldn't be a problem :).
 

 
Anyway, there is a little insight into my creative brain for today!  I'm thinking that at the end of this year I will have to have a bit of a craft clearout (queue giveaways on my blog and vlog!).  I feel that some of the cross stitch patterns/charts I've been hoarding need to find new homes as they are holding me back from working on new projects with new techniques.  I'm sure you are all familiar with that feeling of "guilt" we sometimes have over projects we've not stitched!  Fortunately I've never been one for collecting charts, I've always been about the threads which in hindsight works in my favour, as although my needlework tastes are changing, threads are pretty much universal for most projects.  Also for practical reasons it will free up a few drawers for new materials.......possibly metal threads, silk ribbons and crewel wool!  I think I will forever be a threadhead - there is no cure!
 
If you've reached the end of this blogpost - congratulations!  I love that I have this little space to talk about my needlework passions and inspirations which is something I never felt that I could do on my vlog. So a big thank you to all of you that stop by and read my musings and especially to those of you that comment - I appreciate every one!
 
Have a great weekend and happy stitching!

14 comments:

  1. I was completely fascinated by Lynn's calendar project myself when I saw the link on Jo's and Mrs X-Stitch's blogs. It's fantastic to see how creative some people are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The calendar project is amazing! Sadly, I don't think I would have the patience to do it, but I love looking at others.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your other needlework projects! You've been such an inspiration to me (re:trying evenweave..etc) that I look forward to everything else you're going to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo that butterfly is gorgeous! That's a good article I was keeping up with her project with the hummingbirds for a while but I like her suggestion of shrinking the images to use for journal covers and tote bags and such. I may totally have to use that idea. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book and the Shades of Whitework are amazing. Think I will use them for inspiration too - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone seems to love Lynn's work. It really is amazing!
    Mary's article is very interesting and absolutely inspiring. I did treat myself to the Secret Garden postcards for Mother's Day as I felt they were a little bit more manageable. Like you I don't want to give up any stitching time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the great info. I don't think I'm ready to branch out, but now I know a great resource or 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How inspiring! I use cross stitch as relaxation and find other more creative methods of needlework too stressful but I love looking at others' work. Thank you for sharing these links.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting post. You need better eyesight for embroidery than for xs so now is the time to perfect it 😃. I'm also following the Obliquepoet since reading Jo's post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some amazing needlework techniques that you've got your eye on! It's great when something ignites your passion and creativity to the extent that you can't stop thinking about it- so much fun! That whitework butterfly is very beautiful, I'll be looking forward to seeing which techniques you decide to undertake next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for introducing me to obliquepoet. I've also been tempted to try art therapy but prefer to spend my time stitching :) I love Trish Burr's new whitework collection. I love needle painting but am too intimidated by it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to find new craft to drool over. I enjoy watching your stitching journey evolve

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an enjoyable post. I had just seen a program on the coloring books for adults--have never heard of that until this week and now you write about it, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really hope you stitch that butterfly! It is so pretty and I would love to watch your progress on it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love hearing from my fellow stitchers so please feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back to you (provided you are not a no-reply blogger!).