Wednesday 20 April 2016

Big Berthe!

Justine and a few other bloggers are committing to stitching on the same piece throughout April and it seems I have unwittingly joined in!

Here is what Berthe looked like on 1 April, exactly the same as where I left her mid way through January:

Berthe Massiet WIP 2
 
And here is what she looks like now:
 
 
Berthe Massiet by Reflets de Soie Complete!
 
All finished!
 
 
As a side note I just have to mention every time I say Berthe I think Bertha, which reminds me of the children's TV programme in the 80s which people of a certain age will remember and then I get the little song in my head..........anyway I digress..........
 
I absolutely adored stitching this one on 40ct 1 over 2 with beautiful AVAS d'Alger.  For the sake of anyone that has visited this page as a result of searching for info on this piece, I will say that some of the lettering on mine may be in a different colour than charted - only because I was short on one colour of silk (I think it went walk about) so I just used an excess I had of another colour that was in the chart's colour palette.  Also of note is that, as is the case with a lot of repro samplers, the border is not symmetrical :).  All those cross shapes that make up the border are identical, except for one which has a "leg" four stitches long instead of three - always worth examining the chart carefully!
 
I particularly enjoyed working the pattern darning sections, and a few darning samplers have been pinned to my wishlist for a rainy day so there will definitely be more in my future!
 
 

Pattern darning on Berthe Massiet
 
 
I have at least two other Reflets de Soie samplers in my stash which I am now very much looking forward to doing.  They are the perfect project for when stitching time is limited as the colours used are minimal and you can quickly see progress being made even if only a letter or two is completed per session.  Stitching with 1 strand on 40ct makes for much faster stitching too - no railroading required!  A few years ago I'd always thought that HAEDs would be my easy stitching projects, but the thought of stitching one now makes me feel almost claustrophobic - I need my stitches to be able to breathe lol!
 
No idea what I will be working on next, I had started LHN's Home of a Needleworker last month so I might carry on with that.  Still don't think I can face Cinders just yet, so maybe an entirely new project is in order!

16 comments:

  1. Well done on finishing your project!
    I still have a long way to go but it's nice to know I'm making good progress on mine (instead of being left aside in the WIP basket).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That TV show must have passed me by, but I love your Big Berthe! What beautiful colours. How funny that you joined us by accident too! Now you're only allowed to stitch on one more project for the rest of the month, unless you finish it of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finish! Your stitching looks flawless as always. I sent you an email on another project if you're looking for something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors are wonderful in this piece. By the way the unsymmetrical border would have driven me crazy :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a fabulous finish, Amanda--what a special piece this is! Not familiar with the TV show, but that could be because I am too, too old or because I live in the U.S. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful.What exquisite darning stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the darning, absolutely gorgeous - and I can only imagine how much fun to stitch that must be! brava!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on Berthe. I managed to miss the TV show, it was after my time! It looks very much like the original Postman Pat in style.
    Love the close-ups of the pattern darning sections.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a very successful Faithful April, Amanda. What a gorgeous finish this is. The darning section is very interesting to look at, I have never stitched darning stitches but looking at yours they must be fun to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful finish, Amanda. I just love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful piece! Lovely stitching, as ever, especially those darning stitches. Were instructions included for the darning portion of the sampler (and available en Anglaise)?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your beautiful finish. It must have been so satisfying to work on just the one project, seeing it grow and then finally completed. It's stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous stitching! Congrats on the finish, it looks wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow your finish is stunning! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love hearing from my fellow stitchers so please feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back to you (provided you are not a no-reply blogger!).