Thursday 17 March 2016

Stash Diving

As stitchers we are all different - some of us stick to kits, others will only use high counts of linen, some stick to crosses, other like to use a more mixed bunch of stitches, whilst others shudder to alter anything about a pattern and someone else just can't leave a pattern without adding their own touches to it!  We all know what makes our hobby enjoyable for us.

I think anyone who has followed this blog for even a few posts has a pretty good idea of what camp I fall into, which explains why stitching 3,000+ cross stitches in 3 shades of blue DMC on Cinderella was doing nothing for my creativity and I was losing the will to stitch.  I had an inkling this might happen as I had a similar feeling when I was stitching Mirabillia's Red last year.  When it comes to stitching, I'm much more about the journey than I am about reaching the destination in 90% of my projects.  It explains why I love chopping and changing colours and stitches in projects as it keeps it interesting for me as the project comes to life, all the more so if it means learning a new technique or stitch.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cinderella and she will be finished this year - but I think her stitching needs to be spread out over the year, no way could I go OAAT on her.  So here is where I leave her for the moment:

Cinderella WIP 4
 
 
I haven't forgotten Berthe Massiet either, although I haven't picked her up since the beginning of January, but I think I can chip away at her whilst stitching on my new projects :).
 
I had a day off yesterday, so spent it cutting fabrics and picking threads for 7 new projects all of which have me much more enthusiastic about picking up my stitching again.  They range from small to medium-small projects and I think only one is kitted with most of its original colours, everything is kitted entirely from stash of course, some are 100% cross stitch - others not so much!  Here is a sneak peek:
 
Spring New Starts
 
It was nice to be reunited with my thread collection again, so far this year the only drawer that has seen any action is the Caron drawer for Mabel's SAL, so it was nice to get reacquainted with them all again!
 
Here's hoping to more stitching taking place at Milkybar Towers!

14 comments:

  1. I had the same realization with Tree of Hope. I just wish I had more time to really try out the other types of embroidery. It so much easier to just fall back to cross stitch, since there is no thinking to do at all. All the colors look yummy by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinderella is looking great! Especially on that fabric, just beautiful. I love the sneak peek...I really love the color combination of floss in the top middle of the picture. Can't wait to see what pattern they will go in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy your musings. I feel your pain about the "straight cross stitch". I have yet to attempt cutting holes in my stitching (Hardanger) but perhaps one day. Cannot wait to see your new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear your stitchy bug was out in full force lately. Very interesting peek into your new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine how Cindy would have made you lose your will to stitch...she's gonna be a beauty though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cinderella is looking gorgeous, although I completely understand what you mean about the colours. Best to have a break before she becomes burdensome rather than a pleasure to stitch.
    Your new kitted-up projects look interesting. Can't wait to see them started! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's really lovely :). I'm one of the weird stitches who loves confetti :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, definitely take a break from her while you camp merrily among all those juicy colours! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you have some interesting projects kitted up! I just like to stick to my little x's - much more relaxing. It takes all sorts doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post! I think that's why my current rotation is working so well for me. One main focus piece for the day and four different pieces for the weekend/evenings. A mixture of designers and techniques too.
    I have to say, I love stitching dress fabrics like Cinderella's. Both Joan and Nora do the most amazing dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely progress! I don't blame you for being bored, though - I can't stand doing large areas of one color. Can't wait to see your new projects! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You say some true words about us stitchers, and we are all so different, which makes blog hopping so interesting and such a pleasure. I also have many different projects on the go, and they all differ from one another in some respects. And I love them and whenever it's time to change projects I pull one that is very different from the last. As Jo says - a mixture of designers, styles, stitches and threads.
    You made some nice progress on Cinderella. And what you kitted up looks like a dream with all the threads that you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can totally relate to the 3,000 stitches in 3 shades of blue. One of my UFOs if about to be started AGAIN - Smokey Mountain Cats, which is an image I love and am determined to finish. It has about 9 shades of blue floss but lots of blended colors so it feels more like a hundred shades. I'm exaggerating but I can't lay hands on the chart right now. And I made the mistake of ordering a kit. It came with 14 CT Aida and a requirement to use 3 strands because of all the blending. Plus half and quarter stitches to define the cats' eyes. I gridded with that red fishing line stuff, but decided to stitch cross country. Shriek. This time I'll be using 25 CT Lugana or maybe congress cloth, will grid with Sliver, and will work a 10 x 10 grid at a time. I'm reading HAED bulletin board discussions to get more suggestions re: parking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love hearing from my fellow stitchers so please feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back to you (provided you are not a no-reply blogger!).